Local filming agents and Private production companies or individuals are requested to submit their applications through a local agent registered with the ministry. This requirement is mandatory for all applications to make feature films or documentaries.
To get the list of the latest Licensed Filming Agents, please contact:
The Film Licensing officer
Department of Film Services
Ministry of Information & Communications
P. O. Box 74934-00200,
Tel: +254 20 650120, +254 20 650120/1/2
NB: Government agencies may submit their applications through local licenced film agents.
Deadline for submission of applications:
Applications to make a documentary or a commercial advertisement are processed on application. Applications for drama and feature films are processed in less than 48 hours.
- Formal letter of application
- Application form duly completed – copy to be attached
- List of foreign crewmembers, giving names, nationalities, and passport numbers & date of expiry of passports
- Script and synopsis or storyboard
- List of equipment to be imported for shooting purposes, the value of each piece of equipment, etc
a)Filming rates in Kenya Shillings (KSHS)
- Ksh5,000 for Adverts, documentaries, dramas, short features and still photographs.
- Ksh15,000 for Full-length feature films, TV series.
- Ksh1,000 as daily filming fees.
b) Liaison Officer’s service charges
The Ministry charges Ksh.400 per day to cover Liaison Officer’s services provided by a government Liaison Officer, to be attached to the crew.
c) Other charges:
- Each visitor is required to pay Ksh.2,000 to the Department of Immigration Services for a special pass before engaging in any film shooting. Artists may however, arrive in Kenya on a visitor’s pass while the filming special pass is being processed.
- A nominal non-refundable fee of 1% of the value of the equipment or Ksh30, 000, whichever is less is payable to the Customs Department on presentation of a film license.
- The following charges are applied for any filming in a National Park:
- Ksh. 8,000 for five (5) people for one (1) week or part thereof.
- Ksh. 12,000 for six (6) – ten (10) people for one (1) week or part thereof.
- Ksh. 20,000 for more than ten (10) people for one (1) week or part thereof.
For more information please visit; http://www.kenyafilmcommission.com/index.php/2014-08-19-19-45-31/filming-requirements